While we may not have any events of our own coming up, check out these cool activities from our local nature organizations!
April 21st: Delaware Nature Society Nestwatch Training
- If you're interested in participating in Cornell Lab of Ornithology's Nestwatch program this spring, consider signing up for this 2-part training course on how to safely and effectively find, observe, and record data for nests both in and out of nestboxes. The program includes a zoom lecture from 6:00 - 7:30pm on Wednesday the 21st, as well as a field trip to Ashland Nature Center for some in-the-field learning. Learn more about this event on their Facebook page.
April 24th: Middle Run Valley Tree Planting
- Delaware Nature Society is seeking volunteers to help with the ongoing reforestation project at Middle Run Valley Natural Area! This event runs from 9:00am - 12:00pm on Saturday the 24th. Be sure to dress for the weather and don't forget your shovel! You can check out their Facebook page for more information about registration.
April 28th: April Pea Patch Island Heron Survey
- Every month, the DNREC Division of Parks and Recreation takes a survey of the Pea Patch Island Heron colony, one of the largest breeding colonies of herons and egrets in the Mid-Atlantic. Be a part of this awesome event and help count the colony members from 4:00 - 9:00pm. More information about this monthy event can be found on the Delaware Ornithological Society website.
May 1st - May 2nd: Tri-state Bird Rescue and Research Virtual Open House
- The annual Tri-state Bird Rescue open house starts at 1:00pm and includes a variety of activies ranging from tours of the facility to backyard bird ID sessions to book readings and many more! Check out their Facebook page or their website for more details.
May 2nd - May 3rd: Delaware Spring Native Plant Sale
- The annual native plant sale hosted by Delaware Nature Society will take place online this year! The sale takes place May 2nd and 3rd, with plant pickup appointments being arranged for May 13th - 15th. Take this opportunity to add some native flora to your garden! More information can be found on the Delaware Nature Society webpage.
May 8th: Global Big Day
- The Cornell Lab of Ornithology's Global Big Day is a worldwide birding event that helps survey bird populations all across the globe. Participate by taking some time on May 8th to count the birds you're seeing and submit your checklist via ebird. Any amount of time and checklists is beneficial! Read more about Global Big Day and how to participate on the ebird website.
May 1st - May 9th: Delaware Bird-A-Thon 2021
- The Delaware Ornithological Society's annual Bird-A-Thon has helped raise money to purchase key properties for migratory bird conservation for the past 15 years. See how many bird species you can spot in a 24 hour period while also raising money to support the cause! More information and registration can be found on their website.